Want to be Published in MOD Magazine?
MOD Magazine welcomes submissions from up-and-coming photographers, artists, & more! If accepted, your work may be featured on our website or in print. Please be sure to read the following guidelines thoroughly. Any submissions that do not comply will be rejected.
‘Style Spotlight’ Submissions
Attention, Fashionistas: We want to see your style! If you’d like the opportunity to be featured on our website, simply email your best outfit photos to email@example.com with the subject line “Style Spotlight.” Your email should include your name & a brief description of who you are & what you’re wearing. We especially like to hear about special bargains you found!
We can only accept photos from the photographer, as they are the copyright holder of the images. If you are a model, makeup artist, hairstylist, or wardrobe stylist interested in being published by MOD, please have the photographer that you work with send us the images. If you are an artist submitting artwork, you certify that you are the original creator of the images and hold the copyrights.
Jan/Feb 2014 Issue - Sunday, December 1, 2013 Mar/Apr 2014: The Art Issue - Sunday, January 26, 2014
- May/Jun 2014 Issue - Sunday, March 30, 2014
- Jul/Aug 2014 Issue - Sunday, May 25, 2014
- Sep/Oct 2014 Issue - Sunday, July 27, 2014
- Nov/Dec 2014 Issue - Sunday, September 28, 2014
Final images must be received by midnight EST on the listed due dates, or they will not be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS!
SPECIAL ISSUE THEMES
Occasionally, we release special themed issues, for which we’ll post moodboards & guidelines here. Please check back regularly for future issue themes, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
For unthemed issues, it would be helpful for you and your team to be familiar with current fashion trends for the season. Artistic concepts, however, are completely up to you!
Mar/Apr 2014: The Art Issue
In fashion, we draw inspiration from art every day. So, why not show our appreciation for the talented individuals who create the art we love? In this issue, we’ll be celebrating the work of illustrators, painters, and more! So of course, each photography editorial must convey the art theme, as well. Mix photography with illustration or play around with various color schemes & lighting effects. We don’t care if you draw inspiration from modern, classic art, or both. Just have fun with it! Here are a few inspirational images, for your reference:
And remember, all Art Issue submissions are due by Sunday, January 26, 2014!
- All submissions must be sent to email@example.com by the issue deadline.
- Include the following information in the subject line: Submission Type – Issue – Your Name – [e.g. Photo Submission - Fall 2012 - John Doe]
- Submit by attaching the low-res files to your email separately – Please, NO ZIP FILES OR DOWNLOAD LINKS! We will NOT download any files and your story will remain unseen.
- If we do request high-res images, only then are zip files and download links acceptable. Keep in mind, when we say high-res, our page sizes are 8.5″ x 11″ at 300 dpi, so photos must be sized accordingly.
- Be sure to include a title for your photo story, along with team & clothing credits (where applicable) – For team credits, list all related agencies & management firms.(e.g. Photographer: John Doe, Model: Jane Doe @ ABC agency, etc.) – For clothing credits, list each article of clothing featured, along with the designer/brand name. If your stylist cannot list where they found an item, it will be listed as from their “stylist collection” or as “stylist’s own.”
- All credit information should be sent as a Word document or a readable PDF. – Be sure to list them with the corresponding file name, so we know which photo you’re referring to. (e.g. Photo_123: Forever 21 top, Zara heels, etc.)
- Please double-check to make sure all credit information is accurate! It will be published exactly as sent. Any errors will not be our responsibility.
- We strongly prefer editorials that either feature inexpensive clothing items or those of an up-and-coming designer or brand. (Though, we will occasionally make exceptions if the quality of the editorial is strong.) Thrifted & vintage items are more than welcome, too!
- For fashion submissions, DO NOT submit a set of images with models wearing the same look. That is not a fashion story & it will be rejected. Models should wear a variety of hair/makeup looks for beauty submissions as well.
- Try to include many different image types in your editorial. (landscape as well as portrait – full-length, close-ups, 3/4-length, etc.)
- Nudity is allowed, however it must be implemented in a tasteful manner.
- Images should not have been published through any other form of print or online media (with the exception of your own promotional tools – your website, blog, portfolio, cards, etc.)
Please be patient! We receive a lot of submissions and cannot respond to every email. We will only contact photographers/artists whose work we are interested in using. However, please do not assume just because we follow up to request high-res images, that we will automatically publish your material.
In addition, by submitting to us, you grant us the right to publish your material in the way that we see fit, whether in print or on our website. MOD reserves the right to select all, some, or none of your submitted images for publishing. Although, there will be some instances where photos that don’t make it into the magazine are published on our website, we cannot guarantee that your images will be used at all. If we choose not to publish your images, it will likely be for one of the following reasons:
- Your submission did not adhere to our guidelines
- The quality and/or style of your images were not right for our magazine
- Your images did not fit the issue’s theme or season
- Your submission was too similar to another story we are planning to use for the issue
- We reached our maximum page count for that particular issue
Our decision to use your images can change at any given time leading to final edit. The editor’s decision is final, so please make sure you’re comfortable with these conditions before submitting.
MOD Magazine does not pay for submitted content. Any expenses you incur to shoot your editorial are your responsibility. Furthermore, we do not provide complimentary print copies for featured submissions. If your work is chosen for publication in the magazine, you will be able to purchase a copy of the magazine and/or download the full PDF version of the issue in which your work was featured. We can also email your digital files, upon request.
TERMS OF SUBMISSION
By submitting your work to MOD, you (the photographer or artist) retain full copyright of the submitted images, but grant us exclusive publishing rights for a minimum of 12 consecutive months, following the exchange of high resolution images. During this time period, the images supplied through the submission process can only be published for your own promotion – your website, blog, portfolio, cards, etc. If published through any other sources, including social media (Facebook, Twitter, Model Mayhem, Tumblr, etc.) the images should be credited to MOD. After the aforementioned 12-month period, MOD will retain non-exclusive publishing, promotion, usage and licensing rights, across all forms of print and online media used in the creation, dissemination, and monetization of MOD content.